Sunday, February 15, 2009

Second Ride

Today was a bit windy and snow would fall from the sky in short bursts but I was determined to get out and work more with Kallie, the footing in the paddock was perfect and it wasn’t -20°C out so that was certainly a bonus. So off I went, easily haltered Kallie and we began to play our games, she had a bit of go in her at first and wanted to trot towards everything, I let her because she was easily following my direction.

We did some Figure 8’s and Circling, at the trot for awhile, then we played Touch It and tested her Porcupine and Driving Game. She was a bit sticky for the backing up but started to get better as we went along. She passed all of the pre-ride checks, the only thing I didn’t get her to do was jump over a barrel. She even stood quietly and calmly when I swung the rope over her head.

So I got up and stood in the stirrup three times, keeping my eye on her eye, rubbing her all over (well where I could reach anyways) and then eventually sitting in the saddle. She started licking and chewing almost right away. This time I actually asked her to move her feet so I smiled with all four cheeks, didn’t get a response. So then I squeezed with my legs, still nothing. Then I clucked and she too a few steps forward, as soon as she started to move all pressure came off her and I started rubbing her neck. We did this a few times and in a short period of time she was yawning and relaxing even more.

Photobucket
My good girl.


Photobucket
Relaxed


She then began to get curious and wanted to turn her nose to sniff my boot, but you could tell she was a bit worried (she probably got kicked in the nose any other time she had tried to do so). I just sat there relaxed rubbing her and giving her the occasional treat until she was finally comfortable enough to sniff both my boots.

I decided to end it there, she was nice and relaxed and even curious I didn’t want to push things!

Photobucket
Riding off into the sunset.

1 comment:

coc_parelli said...

Love the photos! What a cutie!