Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sabre Toothed Trailer

Today we decided that we should introduce the ponies to the trailer. So after Anna had played with Lexi and gotten her on the trailer for the first time I went to get Blue. I could tell he was a bit nervous as soon as he say the trailer and that is probably for good reason. Pretty much every time he gets into a trailer he is moving to a new home. He isn’t too bad when his friends are coming with him but they were all staying in the field.

We played a lot around the trailer, I wasn’t focusing on it at all, Blue on the other hand was quite focused on it. So eventually I played the Touch it game with him, sent him to it and he eagerly sniffed it and began pawing it right away. Pawing is something Blue does a lot, he does it when he is out in the field playing with the other horses, or he will do it when he comes to the barrel, or the log, or anything that he can get his feet on he is doing it.

I would take him away from the trailer and then send him back, he put his front feet on and then quickly backed off. So I sent him away again, this time when he came up to it he was pawing at it so vigorously (one foot on the ramp the other pawing) that he slipped and bumped his nose on the trailer ramp. Soon I had a horse bleeding from his gums. Poor fella knocked his face on the ramp. He wasn’t too concerned about the blood he was smearing on his lips and allowed me to rub some snow in his mouth to clean him up a bit.

Of course I felt horrible, so just sent him to the trailer one more time, had him put his front feet on it then got him to back away and we went back to the field. I didn’t want him to associate standing on the ramp with getting bumped in the face!

No comments: