Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pedicure Time

I went into work early today so was therefore allowed to leave early and managed to get home in time to have an hour of sunlight! So I get a pocket full of treats, toss some hay to the horses and meander over to Kallie with my trimming gear. She doesn’t try to walk off at all; she is just instantly looking for treats. So of course she got a few treats and I then proceeded to rub her all over and boy was the white hair flying! She is shedding like mad!

Once I knew she was calm and comfortable I squeezed the chestnut on her from left leg, she easily picked up the foot. Her bars looked great; all I really had to do was trim back to the white line a bit and level out her heels. She didn’t try to walk off on my but she was trying to pull away her front foot a fair bit. So I would just wait it out and as soon as she stopped trying to get it away I would let her put it down, turn and smile at her, rub her neck and offer a treat. As I trimmed both front feet the tugging got less and less as I was sure to be passively persistent.

Next it was onto the back feet and I had forgotten that the last time I had to get Anna to help counter balance Kallie as she wanted to shift all of her weight into the foot that I wanted to pick up. But I was confident and patient and eventually got just what I wanted. It was almost as if she was trying to test me, but in the end I won and she followed me around for a bit licking and chewing and looking for treats.

No comments: