Monday, November 10, 2008

Yellow Ball, Spray Bottle and Liberty Work .. Oh My!

Today I played with Kallie, was able to catch her yet again in under a minute, she is getting better and better each day. We started like we always do, because I need to show her how much I care before I show her how much I know. Rubbing her all over, picking some of her remaining rain rot scabs off and picking at some of the scabs on her legs. I had to use a lot of approach and retreat for her legs; she is very sensitive, especially on her front ones. But with a lot of patience as well as some scratches on rubs on the not so sensitive spots I got the job done. I’m glad that everything is clearing up nicely; the majority of the scabs aren’t actually attached to the skin on her legs but to the new hair that grew up under them pushing them out.

We then did some of the Figure-8 pattern around the barrels and played with the ball, she was much better with it today. I was able to rub it all over her body and even bounce it off her this time, I also walked around the paddock and bounced it on the ground to make it echo and make loud noises, Kallie followed along behind me easily and didn’t mind when I bounced it beside her or directly in front of her.

Photobucket
My droopy lip girl.


Next it was time to treat Kallie’s legs; she was calm and relaxed so out came the spray bottle. I sprayed it in the air a few times before starting with her withers, and spraying some on her hind quarters where there are just a few more small scabs to clear up. Next was onto her legs, she is always more sensitive with her front legs and would move around a bit until I rubbed her shoulder and sprayed at the same time. Before long she was standing relaxed, a back leg cocked, licking and chewing while I sprayed all over her legs, I just let the rope drop to the ground and “Ground Tied” her. She was great!

Photobucket
She seems so concerned about the spray bottle.


More Friendly Game followed with the rope, I tossed it over her back, around her legs and then spun it around her head like a helicopter then let it wrap around her like a big friendly hug. She kept her feet still and relaxed quickly.

I then took the lead line off and she followed me around at Liberty for awhile before I sent her out and worked on getting her to read off my body language and follow my direction and lead. Before long she was licking and chewing and wanting to come into the center of the round pen. I sent her around a few more times and allowed her to come in, and thought that that was a good place to end out session for the day.

Photobucket
A relaxed Kallie at the end of our session.

No comments: