Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Story

As a child growing up in the city I unfortunately didn’t have many opportunities to be around horses. My first introduction to horses would have been at the Bengal Lancer Stables. To which I would return as often as possible with my mother and grandmother to marvel at the large, beautiful and elegant creatures. At three years old I got the chance to ride my first pony on a cousin’s farm. The quick little walk that I went for on the lead line what the final step on getting me “hooked” on horses.

Upon moving to the country I began horseback riding lessons and rode some pretty spirited ponies, Winston and Zeke. They were great little ponies to learn on and taught me a lot. It wasn’t long before I had my first fall, but I wasn’t about to hesitate and jumped right back on have been going ever since. Before long we were moving again (something we did a lot) and had to take a bit of a break from riding for a bit. But I still found horses, there was a stable across the road where a few Standardbred Broodmares were kept and I would go see them and their foals as often as I could.

Soon I was back in the saddle again, I quickly advanced through the lesson horses at the new stable I was riding at and developed a passion for jumping. It was so exhilarating I loved every moment of it. I continued to ride and lived for it but due to the mare I rode having her foal I had to take another break from riding, but I wasn’t going to let that last long.

During the summers of my teen years I had my first introduction to “western” riding and practically lived at a local barn that offered Trail Rides. I would be out there just about everyday with my friends, we would muck stalls, feed horses, groom and tack them up for their long days work. It wasn’t much longer until I was leading out trail rides and looking after the ponies at fairs and camps. I was in my glory.

In next to no time I was off to University, there wasn’t too much time for horses there but I quickly found other horse-crazy people and soon I was back around horses again. Between riding a friends horse here and there and working at the Truro Raceway every Sunday as a groom my addiction was as strong as ever. It wasn’t long before I became a horse owner.

It was the fall of 2004, I had just started my second year in University and had been thinking about getting a horse for sometime and then the opportunity arose. I heard through the grapevine that there was a horse in the barn next to the one a friend kept her horse in that was going to the auction. This wasn’t an uncommon thing around the track; horses were often going to the cattle auction. But we went down to look at this horse and see what he was like. An old man slide open the large sliding doors and light flooded into the basement portion of the barn. It was dark and musty but we went in, and at the very back of the barn was a lean grey stallion.

It was love at first sight. We took him out and walked him around the yard a bit, he nickered and neighed to anyone who would answer, held his tail up in the air and pranced in a circle. He was gorgeous, absolutely stunning and he was mine. Despite the fact that he was a very good natured stallion he didn’t stay intact for long. I quickly got started on his training, he was so quiet and willing it didn’t take long for him to catch onto new things. We were an inseparable team.

While in University I started up the NSAC Equestrian Club and took up lessons again upon joining the NSAC Equestrian Team. I barely had time to sleep but I loved every moment of life. In the summer before my final year a friend and I bought a horse together. We looked at him from the back of a stock horse trailer at the cattle auction. His ribs were showing, and he was long and gangly but we both saw potential in the doe eyed pinto. We decided to give him a second chance and so he was named Chance.

We worked with him and were riding around in no time; he was a wonderful horse with lots of potential. We put him on the market (as that was our original intent upon buying him) and he sold quickly. I regretted it and wished that I had been able to keep him. But before long he found his way back to me, he was no longer the horse that I had known. He was fearful and had no trust for humans, he had been hurt badly.

In the Fall of 2006 I was introduced to Parelli Natural Horsemanship, once I had my feet wet I was ready to jump right in and embrace the wonderful world of Parelli and start building and developing a life-long relationship with my boys. It wasn't long before I was addicted to the Parelli way and I certainly have no intentions on turning back anytime soon.

No comments: