Saturday, November 8, 2008

Blue Loves His Big Yellow Ball

Well it would appear that Blue LOVES to play with his front hooves with anything! Today he repeatedly played with the ball, rolling it back and forth with one leg, holding it between his two front legs, kicking it away only to walk up to it and put his hoof on it again. He even let me bounce it and was putting his nose close to it so that it would bounce into his face! He had no problem with my bouncing the ball all over his body, bouncing it on the ground, throwing it up in the air, tossing it over his back, but he would much prefer to play with it himself!

Next he started playing with the barrels in the same manner, rolling them forward and backward, spinning them around, standing with it between his two front legs, even just standing there with his hoof resting on the side of it. He went through the same routine with a pole on the ground; he certainly has become an active fellow with his front legs!

Seeing as he was so confident around the barrels I decided to try something new with Blue today. I set him up next to one of the barrels that was lying on its side and played the sideways game over the barrel. At first he just wanted to play with it some more, then he wasn’t quite sure if he should go forwards or backwards. But once I found where I should have my own body to ask him correctly he side-passed beautifully over the barrel! I did it both ways and offered him lots of rubs, scratches and treats as a reward.

I then mounted him from the barrel again and we worked on the 9 Step Back Up, as well as yielding his hindquarters and forequarters with me on his back, he is really good with yielding his hind end but is still a bit stick with her front end. I’m going to try to do more work with it on the ground.

Once I was done my session with Blue I went to catch Kallie. She did walk away from me, but again in less than 30 seconds she had turned to face me and allowed me to approach her, licking and chewing the whole time. I put the halter on, walked her around the pond and up to the tractor tires which are currently being used as hay feeders, took the halter off and gave her a pile of treats. She stood with me, licking and chewing, licking and chewing. You could see that the tension had left her body she began blinking slowly, allowed me to rub all over her face (something she is quite sensitive about).

She hung out with me even after Blue came over to pester me for more treats. The boy never gives up!! So all in all it was another good day, I am hoping that it doesn’t rain tomorrow and I can work with Chance!

No comments: