Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Not Forgotten!

Well it has been a little bit since I’ve added anything to the blog, I haven’t forgotten about it I just haven’t been able to really do a whole lot with the horses due to the lovely early winter weather. One day it was mild, sunny, and just gorgeous weather, the next day it was cold, windy and a combination of snow and icy falling from the sky. So between traipsing through the snow, shoveling, making paths for the horses and being cold I’ve been spending a lot of undemanding time with the horses.

Kallie is 170 days pregnant as of today, so just over her 5 month mark so it was time for her first set of vaccines. I opted to give them to her myself where she is still very untrusting. Anna was out today so we went out to the paddock, armed with a frozen carrot and pockets full of treats. It was no problem at all to catch Kallie, I haltered her no problem, and started rubbing her. She quickly relaxed so I worked on getting her to flex her neck towards me, I’d pinch her skin until I got no reaction then give her a poke. I did this a few times before I replaced the poking finger with a needle. She was perfect; she tensed slightly when the needle went in but relaxed with some rubbing and I easily gave her the vaccines. She was then offered a delicious frozen carrot and I must say it was highly amusing to watch her try and eat the carrot!

I then trimmed Blue’s front hooves at liberty, nothing too drastic had to be done, just filed his toe back a bit, evened it off and trimmed out a tiny bit of bar that had grown up. I just love his feet, I would be happier if I could get his frogs to expand a bit more, but they are coming. You just got to love the Standardbreds and their contracted heels.

Then I decided to try something I’ve never done and that was trim Kallie’s feet at liberty. I walked up, let her sniff my had, offered her a treat then picked up her foot, she stood there easily as I picked out her bars, lowered her heel slightly and evened out her toe. Needless to say I was very proud of my girl! She wiggled a bit, bit never tried to walk off or put up too much of a fight.

So that is all for now, so here are a few wintery pictures for your enjoyment:

Photobucket
My “Meadow Brook” Gate


Photobucket
Kallie’s view


Photobucket
Pretty snow, which can go away now :P


Photobucket
Poor Blue plugging through all the snow, he is such a wuss!

No comments: