Sunday, March 15, 2009

Trip To An Indoor

Anna and I took Blue and Tia to a local indoor riding arena today. Both loaded easily and we were quickly on the road. When we arrived both were relaxed and curious, we had the arena to ourselves so we let them loose and let them get to know the place a bit while we lugged in all our gear. Once all of our junk was in the arena we began to play through the 7-Games Online. Blue was so light and responsive and it was nice to see how well he moved in there. The footing was perfect!

Once I was sure he was good to ride I mounted up and we started working on the Pattern “Follow The Rail” both Blue and I haven’t done much ring work together as we both tend to get easily bored with it so with my mind wandering Blue began to wander off course. I found it difficult to keep him on task so we worked on some other things for a bit. I trotted him some and cantered him and each time we picked up the speed he would dive bomb into the center of the arena and spiral tighter and tighter which threw him off balance.

So we went back to some walking work, did a few circles in the corners, some Figure 8’s and got a bit better response when I asked him to pick up the pace. All in all it was a fantastic ride even with the few minor set backs. He was mostly Left Brained and eager to learn, I just need to focus more on the task so that he can focus! He behaviour was totally my bad.

No comments: