Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I love my horses!

Today I played with Tru first, she was easy to catch in the field, I loved on her and rubbed her all over. I also had a plan for what I wanted to accomplish today, so my goal was to be able to play the friendly game with the carrot stick and savvy string but tossing the saving string and “giving her a hug” with it five times from either side without her moving her feet. Being an extrovert this of course is very hard for her.

I started off by just walking around and casually flicking the stick and string side to side, until she was comfortable standing beside me. Then I rubber her all over with the stick and string, then I began to toss it over her back. And like I predicted she had to move her feet at first, so I just left it on her back until she stopped, I’d then remove it and give her some scratching. We did this for a few minutes until she realized that it was easier to just stand still and let me hug her with the savvy string, so we were able to toss it over both to the left and the right without her moving her feet, licking and chewing the whole time.

We then played through the rest of the games and I decided to start her on the circling game, the one game I was putting off. So I sent her back and forth with the yo-yo a few times, making sure that that was still strong. Then once I was happy with that I brought up my energy and pointed to the left. I waited, and waited, and waited and no response, so I used the end of the rope and swung that towards her slowly working up to phase 4, as soon as she moved to the left, even looked to the left I would drop all the energy out of my body.

It didn’t take her long to catch on to what we were doing, and soon she was doing circles at the walk and trot (she offered at the trot) comfortable. Once we got two circles without any corrections I finished with that for the day.

Next it was time to trim her feet, she was really good for her front ones, but for some reason she decided she wanted to walk off for the back ones. So instead of trimming the back ones today we just worked on getting her to pick up her hoof without walking off. This took some time, and a lot of patience on my part but we got to the point where she would hold both back feet up, let me tap on them and rub them all over.

I then took off the halter, rubbed her all over and she proceeded to follow me around and try to eat the 22’ line! Very happy with that play session!

Next I was off to play with Blue, we worked on some of the things that we had the other day with Ron, Larteral Flexion. I wanted him to be able to do it with me on the ground without moving his feet on both sides 5 times, we only had one correction of the left and two on the right. We then worked on having him lower his head and keep it down even when I stood up, there were only 3 corrections for him to get this. I then taught him how to ask for a treat and he got that in seriously 5 seconds! I was so impressed!

Later on after I was done feeding the ponies Kallie came up to me (a very rare occurrence) so I happily treated her and rubbed her all over. I didn’t’ really play with her, but was very happy that she offered to come up to me all on her own!

No comments: