Monday, August 10, 2009

Cattle Penning

Well this weekend Anna and I decided to try something completely different – Cattle Penning!! We drove up to Northport to Creekview Farm and registered for a day of Penning. We both entered in three teams (which gave us three runs per team). I took Blue in my first two runs and he was a little frightened of the cows, so we tried helping with the herd change and he got a bit better but we didn’t really have the time for me to get him more comfortable with the cows so a real nice cowboy named Sam offered to let me ride one of his horses. So I put Bluey back with a hug and adjusted my stirrups and hopped on Sam’s dun gelding named Chevy and got a real nice taste of what it was like to cattle pen. I rode him in the rest of my runs for the day and had an absolute blast. Tia rode Tia all day and I think we found something that Tia really likes! She would even bite at the damn cows if they wouldn’t get out of her way!!

Later that evening after supper we went for the beach ride, this time I was riding Blue, a whole bunch of us set out, I don’t even know how many horses total probably 25-30 if not more. Blue was great for the who ride down, we even crossed a big bridge then head out on the sand. I wasn’t sure what he would think about the ocean/water because he used to have quite a big water fear. We’ve been working on it slowly but typically he likes to jump puddles and brooks lol. But we walked through a few small streams and in no time at all we were out in the ocean, the water up to his belly and he was having a blast! He was splashing around with his front legs, dunking his head in the water. It was so much fun! We galloped up and down the beach, in and out of the water and had a great time! Blue and I really enjoyed ourselves!!

It was a fantastic weekend, full of great people, amazing horses and lots of fun! So many of the seasoned cattle penners were more than willing to help out and offer advice and tips, they were all so warm and welcoming!

I can hardly wait to do it again, in the meantime I might have to get Blue a pet cow lol!!







Then I traded in Blue for Chevy . . .





No comments: