Saturday, January 31, 2009

First Ride On Kallie!

Today Anna and I lugged out saddle racks, saddles, hackamores, halters, 12’ lead, 22’ lead, a tarp, the three green barrels, yellow exercise ball and riding helmets out to the field where it was nice and snowy and ice free! I played with Kallie first, she was really good considering it had been awhile since I had played with her due to the lovely weekly storms, ice and frigid temperatures.

We played through out Seven Games and she wasn’t sticky at all, she was right on the ball (almost literally too as she didn’t mind touching the big yellow exercise ball with her nose). I had no real intention of riding her today, I just brought the gear out to exposé her to it again. She was very accepting of the pad, and then the saddle and passed the Pre-Ride checks with flying colors that I felt confident and safe getting on her.

Photobucket
The pep talk before getting on


I flapped the stirrups a bit, and put weight into the stirrups with my hands, tapped the seat of the saddle all in preparation for getting on. I then put my foot in the stirrup, let he feel the weight, did three tiny hops then stood up in the stirrup. I kept my eyes on her left eye as I did so and instantly began rubbing her, she licked and chewed. I got down and repeated this a few more times before finally swinging my leg up and over. Once I was in the saddle I just sat there, not asking her to do anything and rubbed. I rubbed until she had a huge lick and chew session.

Photobucket
And I’m in the saddle!


Photobucket
My relaxed girl.


Then I got off, offered her some treats and rubbed her all over and she was soon yawning. I was very happy with my first “ride” on my girl!!

No comments: