Monday, January 12, 2009

Kallie Meets Saddle Pad

Today was Kallie’s day, before the session she was eagerly coming up to me in the field and sniffing around for treats, a pretty good start to the day. She got a bit apprehensive when the halter came up but quickly got over that and we were off to the round pen to play. We always start off with lots of friendly game, this time I had the carrot stick and savvy string with me so I rubbed her all over with it, and she was a bit sensitive around her legs but soon learnt to relax. Kallie was also a bit nervous about me tossing the rope 12’ rope or savvy string over her back she felt like she needed to move her feet at first. But it didn’t take her long to catch on that she could just stand still I wasn’t going to hurt her with it.

Photobucket
Kallie before our session.


We worked our way through the games in no particular order, I tried a few new things at the Circling Game, like changing direction without stopped and while maintaining gate and she was wonderful. All I would do it take a few steps back, switch hands with my rope, point in the direction I wanted her to go in and off she would go. We did this quite a few times before moving onto the Sideways Game which she was a bit sticky with at first and then finally the Squeeze Game which she was great with.

Photobucket
Relaxing after some Yo-Yo game.


Photobucket
Trotting very nicely on a circle.


Next I brought out the western saddle pad. I picked it up off the saddle rack and walked away from her with it, she easily followed and I could feel her quickly closing the gap between us even though I had left her the most of the rope incase she wanted some drift. When I stopped she willingly put her nose on it. Next I rubbed her body all over with it playing the Friendly Game; she was relaxed and perfectly fine with it. Next I made the motions to put it on her back, she didn’t flinch.

Photobucket
Calm and Cool.


Finally I put it on her back and rubber her withers with my hand. She was relaxed, thinking and blinking. Needles to say I was very happy with my girl. I then got her to move her feet with it on, yielding her HQ first, then her FQ, backing up, coming forward, circles, squeeze and even a bit of sideways. She was excellent! Not a worry at all, licking and chewing, leg cocked and relaxed! I didn’t have enough time to put the saddle on her and didn’t want to rush things so that was where we ended for the day.

No comments: